Friday 2 December 2016

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Book Title: Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #1)
Author: Dan Simmons
Genre: Science Fiction
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Source: Library
Goodreads, Amazon UK

Goodreads Summary: On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.  
What did I think? I absolutely loved it. I say, but only give it 4 ♥ instead of 5. And I'm sure you're wondering why. 
It doesn't stand on its own. I made a list of books I want to read until the end of this year and I put this one on it and if I'd had realised that it doesn't stand on its own, I'd have waited until next year. Maybe, once I've read the sequel, I'll bump this to 5 ♥ but for now it's not. Because it just stops. It's only a set-up. No resolution. In fact I feel like I've only read the beginning of something much bigger.

The prose is beautiful. And Hyperion is basically Canterbury Tales in space. The reader gets to discover this universe through several short stories. Simmons throws his readers into the middle of the action with little explanation, but the stories are vivid and it didn't take long for me to find my bearings.

It's an amazing and complex world Simmons has created here. He explores morality, religion, empathy and other themes in an intelligent way. The book is beautifully structured and a must read for any science fiction fan.

Dan Simmons has excellent writing advice on his website, available for aspiring authors. Definitely check it out if you like to write.

2 comments:

  1. I see what you mean about books that don't really end but aren't a cliffhanger either..I've read many series where the first book simply is there to bring out the world and it's characters to us..But i like that it is like 'Canterbury Tales in space' Sounds like my kinda book :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like when the first book can stand on its own. Gives me a way to discover the world and characters and by the end I could decide whether or not to continue reading. However... here, if I would have known I would have requested the next book as well at the library and would not be on the waiting list haha. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete