Tuesday 11 April 2017

TTT (11) Most Unique Books I've Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Follow the link to know more about the meme and join up!

This week they're sharing some of the most unique books they've ever read. Their post this week can be found here.

Unique books. What an interesting subject. What does unique mean? What do I classify as unique?

I guess books where I thought, oh, this is new, I haven't read anything like it before. I'm pretty sure though that very often it just means that I've not really read many books in that particular genre and not necessarily that the book is unique.
  

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers, because it's not about plot but about characters and because it's intimate, subtle and diverse sci-fi.
The Promise of the Child by Tom Toner, because he built such a complicated and extensive world that is wonderful to explore and there's a multitude of new species that humans evolved into.
Saga by Brian Vaughan because it's a comic unlike anything I've ever read.

 

This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp, because it tells of a school shooting as it happens. I didn't particularly like the book but it was unique.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak because it's narrated by the personification of Death. I didn't particularly like this one either, but it's loved by most.

  

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles because the character stays in a hotel for the entirety of the novel and the book is still captivating.
The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin because she uses the 2nd POV and it works.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman because who knows what genre this is but it's a fairy tale for adults and it's beautiful.

I haven't read Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff but the way it's put together looks pretty damn unique.

16 comments:

  1. The Book Thief was very different!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-most-unique-books-ive-read-part-deux.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely :) Hopping over to yours now.

      Delete
  2. The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet- totally agree with what you said. Loved that book. And Ocean at the End of the Lane I haven't read yet, but Neil Gaiman has me so curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like American Gods but I loved Stardust and Ocean at the End of the Lane made me tear up!

      Delete
  3. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is unique indeed.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/04/top-ten-tuesday-my-top-seven-most.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wonderful book! Hopping over to yours now :)

      Delete
  4. The Book Thief was on my list this week too (though unlike you it's one of my favourite books).
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/top-ten-tuesday-102/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite special, sadly the narrator style didn't work for me :(

      Delete
  5. wow everyone in this universe and the next seems to love The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet !!! I CANNOT wait to read this book!
    I have never read a 2nd POC book that I liked but I keep trying so maybe I should check out The Fifth Season. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman has been on my radar as well! Great list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to hear what you'll think of the book. It took a while for me, mostly I had to let go of all the "I want action" and embrace the "it's all about characters."

      Delete
  6. Saga made my list, too. So different!
    I thought of The Book Thief - I mean, being narrated by Death is pretty unique - but since I haven't read it I decided to skip it. I've heard so many people refer to it as their favorite book but I just haven't felt led to read it.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the narrator simply didn't work for me :( but I definitely admit it's a very unique book.

      Delete
  7. Saga is awesome - I can't wait for volume 7 to come out! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost put The Ocean at the End of the Lane on my list this week too. Definitely a unique read. Great list!

    ReplyDelete