Tuesday 27 June 2017

TTT (18) - Best Books I read in 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Follow the link to know more about the meme and join up, it's a great way to find out more about the book blogging community.

This week the theme is best books we read in 2017, at least so far, and this week's post by The Broke and the Bookish post can be found here.

We're halfway through the year so this is a great moment to look back and choose a few books that I loved so far. I've been reading quite a bit. More or less two books a week is my goal and so far I've kept up with that.
Please let me know in the comments what your favourite books are so far in 2017, because my tbr list desperately needs to grow (not really, but also yes, it does!)

Please don't make me choose my favourite.

  

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North (review here) is an amazing novel with an interesting spin on time travel.
The Lions of Al-Rassan is a historical fantasy novel and broke my heart.
N. K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season (review here) is a gorgeous read with fantastic prose in a post-apocalyptic world.

  

Golden Son by Pierce Brown (review here) is the second book in the Red Rising trilogy and made me want to eat my pillow.
Moroda is L. L. McNeil's debut (review here) and has dragons and wonderful grey characters plus women kicking ass.
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (review here) had me on the edge of my seat. I could not stop reading this suspense novel.

  

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett has a lot of demons and an orphan destined to save the world but it grabbed me from the very first page.
Robin Hobb's Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy #2) broke my heart.
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is a wonderful and whimsical read.

I can't wait to discover more books!

19 comments:

  1. I've read Royal Assasin - love the trilogy, but found a bit of 'escape and caught and escape again' towards the end. I have Cloud Atlas and Harry August. Must catch up with some of the adult fiction on my shelves.

    My TTT is at - https://bookmurmuration.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/top-ten-tuesday-27-06-2017/ I've listed ten MG books, and reflected on joining the blogging community with ten things I love about blogging so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I love Fitz so much, I can imagine that the series is less great when you don't fall in love with his character. I forgive a lot because I care so much. Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Cloud Atlas is a complex book, a huge book, and I had to admire the author's work at putting all the stories and characters together.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/06/best-books-youve-read-in-2017-so-far.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to start the Red Rising books! They sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cloud Atlas mostly left me feeling confused. I liked about half of it and could appreciate it as an experiment but it didn't really do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognize several of these but have not read any of them. My husband read the Red Rising trilogy and The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August but I just had no interest in either of them. I didn't do a TTT post since I already had another post scheduled, but a couple of my favorites so far this year are From Sand to Ash by Amy Harmon and All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not read any of these, but they sound intriguing. Going around visiting blogs on Tuesday has really made my tbr list grow as well! Here is our TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big Little Lies is one of my favorite books. Loved it. And I've read all the Farseer books except the most recent trilogy- I should take the plunge but I'm almost afraid too lol. She's so hard on her characters at times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so worried she'll break my heart if I continue with Fitz!

      Delete
  8. Great list! A bunch of these are actually on my TBR. :) Here’s my T10T for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you've read some spectacular books so far this year!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:

    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/06/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-ive-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I'm currently reading Golden Son and I'm enjoying it so far!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Olivia :) How are you? Oh it's been so long! I've been meaning to stop by but had exams and then was travelling and then got sick!! How are you? !

    Ah I remember your reviews of some of these books! I'm glad you liked them..I've been trying to get my hands on a N.K.Jemisin book for so long! Great post chica <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good! I hope you are okay as well? Being sick sucks! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh! I want to read so many of these and now they're making your top ten list? Eep. I need to get a wriggle on with my reading!

    Fifth season, the Brown books, Hobb Fitz, Big Little Lies (rec from Greg right there!) are all right up there on books I need to get to next. Great list and I hope to catch up on these books soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifth Season is simply amazing, plus you know diverse reading, so go for it! Red Rising... well, it's very Hunger Games meets Mars at first but then turns into a space opera with gravity boots and spaceship battles. Fitz is adult fantasy and it's very slow, emphasis on beautiful writing and character development, I've seen people not able to get on board with it because of how slow it is. AND listen to Greg! I was supposed to read Big Little Lies over a week with a friend and discuss chapter by chapter and I just swallowed it whole in an afternoon of frantic reading!

      Delete
  13. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is such an amazing read and so highly underrated!
    Also Cloud Atlas is one of my all-time favourite books. I know it's a very hit-or-miss book but I'm really glad you liked it. I'd highly recommend The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell too. It has a very similar structure and shares a few concepts with Cloud Atlas, but it's just as brilliant and kind of creepy.
    I'm really hoping I can find the Red Rising trilogy in my library because I've heard excellent things.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry August was fantastic. I will definitely check out The Bone Clocks, because I loved Mitchell's writing. Thank you for that tip! The Red Rising is a bit less adult than Harry August and Cloud Atlas, but it's a really fast paced space opera that I fell in love with!

      Delete
  14. I liked Big Little Lies a lot too! and I so need to finish the Red Rising series!!! I think I'm just intimidated LOL! The Fifth Season is on my TBR because of your great review :)

    ReplyDelete